This post is a summary meant to cover the in-depth work featured in the article here.
MilitiaWatch was given files from the internal and semi-public communications of a Georgia-based militia group. These files, provided to MilitiaWatch by the Atlanta Antifascists, show extremely worrying plans that may be indicative of conversations within other contemporary militia groups. This piece assesses some of this content and provides context that may be useful to those looking to assess the psychic and social environments in which militias like this seek to engage.
Unicorn Riot just hosted a leak from the III% Security Force’s Discord server, which is available to researchers here. Alongside the leak, they put out a very detailed analysis and context article that is well worth the read, too. The leaked messages cover January through April of 2021, totaling 8,358 messages.
This MilitiaWatch article, therefore, is intended to be a short companion piece to a Unicorn Riot leak and article. The group’s Discord served as a brief but important tool for the group after waves of bans and deplatforms spanning Facebook, Zello, YouTube, and more. This MilitiaWatch article serves to provide some background context but will briefly engage with the leaks further below.
Weekly: 21 Jun 21
This week, a brief update covering some of the following:
- Several police officers face consequences related to J6 riot
- Ex-police chief uses charity to fund violence
- Oath Keepers organization in turmoil, founder used funds from it on non-OK related goods
Weekly: 10 May 21
Here’s another weekly update from MilitiaWatch, covering some of the following:
- Minnesota Boogaloo Boy joins comrade, pleads guilty to terror charges
- Wisconsin man charged with terrorism for Wolverine plot involvement
- Georgia Stone Mountain participant charged for role in J6
- 6th state this year passes “2A Sanctuary” legislation
Weekly: 3 May 21
This weekly update features some of the following:
- Formations of a few militia groups in CA and elsewhere
- Boogaloo adherent and defense contractor charged in TX and NM
- Wolverine Watchmen planned to blow up a commuter bridge
- Georgia cop outed as Nazi leader, arrested with 11 illegal guns
- Ammo shortages impacting militia training
Weekly: 19 April 21
Another Monday, another weekly update. Here’s a glimpse at what’s covered in this brief piece:
- An OK founder pleads guilty; the QRF looks more material
- III% adherents assault interracial couples for second time in three weeks in SC
- Wolverine Watchmen brothers removed from house arrest
Weekly: 22 Feb 2021
Another Monday, another weekly update. Shorter than last few weeks. Covered here includes the following:
- More J6 updates, focusing on OH, GA, and the group make-up of the stormers
- Legal updates for Rittenhouse and New England Minutemen
- “Recall Newsom” drama aimed at San Diego mayor
Weekly: 8 Feb 2021
This week, another update with the following included:
- More J6 updates, including a terror designation by Canada
- Rittenhouse not at home, bond terms to be further revisited
- New GA militant coalition announced
- Sugar Pine mine case moves forward
- Michigan pursuing further gun restrictions
- GOP candidate posts threatening message, photo of noose
Georgia, like many other US states, is awash with militia groups. This can be measured by the presence of those who represent larger coalitions nationwide like the Georgia Security Force III%, the regional or nationwide calls-to-action around armed right-wing activism such as the 15 August Stone Mountain event, as well as a continuing comradery between right-wing politicians and our sizeable militia field here. In this piece, we explore relationships between a candidate for higher office and local right-wing movements and militia groups.